Thursday, March 4, 2010

Our Own Private Idaho

 
This weekend Bob and I went to a wedding of someone who has been very special in my life.  She is almost a second daughter.  I worked with her on my first pilot, and for 4 seasons of a TV show about a "girl and her horse."  When we met on that show this beautiful young lady and I would develop a deep lifelong bond.  Only for her would I have gotten out of bed after being sick (still sick) with bronchitis all week.  I was too sick to shop for my perfect ensemble. For me...that's sick!   So I packed all my meds, inhaler, and some recycled wedding clothes at 10pm the night before we left.  I really had no business getting on a plane.  "I'm going even if it kills me." I had told the doctor the day before.  When Bob and I got married, this young woman had come all the way to Rome.  So what was Sun Valley in February, with bronchitis compared to that?
 ,



Bob and I flew to Boise.  We could have flown to Sun Valley, but we were told weather canceled 50% of flights.  It was my first trip to Idaho, except for the movie. :-)  The rental car office had all of one employee in Boise Idaho.  She told us to "take the long way" as it had snowed and she wasn't sure about the roads.  We got into our Chevy Equinox (what kind of name is that for a car?) and headed to the only mall in Boise, Idaho.  We had to buy Bob a tie.  My dear husband didn't own one, which he proudly told to every Dillards employee who would listen.  I had to get pantyhose.  I had a pleasant surprise of running into a full sized, fully dressed skeleton in the makeup department.  




Our 4 hour trip began from Boise to Sun Valley.  It was gray and brown, and dismal.  In the distance we could see white peaks.  I learned they had lots of cattle farms.  Some not up to Temple Grandin's standard of care, or mine.  There was a wind advisory...and we saw many a "wind break" of trees.  It was desolate in parts.  I am always thankful when I drive through rough country that I was born in the time of history where I can drive or fly.  I had visions of wagons stuck in the mud, and long skirts, and cold cold nights.  The last 75 miles was like driving through molasses.  25 miles an hour on a 2 lane road.  I was texting my friend Claudia who was waiting for us there, and staying in the same hotel.   We got to Hailey.  Claudia was a welcome face to see after so many years.  The last time I had seen her was at her wedding in Vegas at the Graceland Wedding Chapel. 


So here we were, together again.  No Elvis this time to walk the bride down the isle.  No "Love Me Tender" sung by an Elvis Impersonator. When Claudia got married we were being picked up by a limo from the Wedding Chapel.  We stood in the busy drive of the Vegas hotel.  Claudia pointed to the white stretch limo....we all hopped into the limo.  Then someone realized it was the WRONG limo (they kinda look alike) and we all had to get out and into a different white limo!!! This one was a bit smaller and we were told by our driver that there were too many of us.  Oh Boy.  As you can tell by the photos above...we worked it out and we got to the chapel.

This Idaho wedding was a complete winter motif.  From the "save the date" postcard of a couple sledding down a snowy mountain, to the letter press invitations, ski lift tickets were our place cards, and table assignments named after Sun Valley ski runs.  Yes, at the lodge there was a moose head over the fireplace.  We were asked to sit in a heated clear enclosure that faced the snowy landscape.  The groomsmen filed in, and the groom followed and turned to see where his bride was.

As Gen came around the corner I was watching Jared's face.  He had tears in his eyes.  When their eyes met they both began to cry.  At that moment it was clear what all the songs are written about.  There wasn't a person in the room who couldn't feel their love for each other.  I cried through the entire ceremony.  I cried on and off all evening.  Because I was so happy for Gen. She didn't "settle", she picked.  There's a big difference.  I am so glad to be included and to witness their marriage.  Jared is an amazing man, and they are so good together. 

The evening flew by.  Below are photos of dancing.  The band even played a Black Eyed Peas song that Bob and I danced to: "I got a feeling."  Bob and Claudia danced.  One of the last songs the band played was Amy Winehouse's "I don't want to go to rehab!" Pretty funny, and we had a blast. Bob made sure he told everyone he'd never wear his polkadot silk tie again. Don't ask me what Bob is doing in the picture dancing with Claudia.  He's having a great time! As you can see in the last photo, it was time for me to go home and to sleep. 

 
 
  
 
Our time was too short together.  I wanted to talk to everyone more.  I am told they are coming through town this spring.  I can't wait.  Jared had to go back to finish shooting the rest of his TV show. Claudia was working on a commercial on Monday.  Our "own private Idaho" came to a bittersweet close.

Gen, Clauds, Jared, Bob:   LULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                           (love you long time is what we always text to eachother)

xo

Suz

Thanks for reading.  I'm still amazed that you do.


Next blog will be about the Groomsman Knives.





5 comments:

  1. Beautiful...doncha just love weddings? Since it was a wedding where you and I met? Am hoping this comment will post this time - just to let you know I love reading and will continue to do so....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue from Lulu Bug here - I got married at the Graceland wedding chapel too! Not married anymore, but it was a fun wedding - we were decked out in early 60's Vegas finery, I even got my hair done in a bouffant for the occasion, and my sister had a wicked beehive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue...sounds like a work of art. Oooh, I love a good "hive." :-)

    Sall-yes we met a the most elegant wedding I have ever been to. How do you top a castle in England?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a Supernatural fan again, to say thank you for this beautiful, touching account of Jared and Gen's wedding. Years ago, I was at a wedding where the groom likewise wept tears of love at the sight of his bride-to-be. It is a moment of such magic, such rare and perfect peace, is it not?

    Please let Mr. and Mrs. Padalecki (what joy to write those words!) know that their fans wish them happiness, wish them love, and wish them a long and blessed forever-after together. ;-)
    Cheers ~

    Gloria Atwater
    northern Nevada

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this wonderful story of their wedding. They seem like some of the sweetest people anyone could know. I love reading your blog and I can't wait to keep reading. By the way the knives for the groomsmen were beautiful. Please tell Bob he does good work.

    ReplyDelete