Thursday, August 26, 2010

From the Front Porch


Good morning from the front porch.  It's been a bustling morning here.  I should be getting ready for the Las Vegas "Gathering" show. However, there is just too much to do here.  It's harvest time. This means canning, and watching or ripening fruits and veggies so the varmints don't get them first. We've had huge winds and branches down.  Clean up as well as fruit that wasn't quite ripe to deal with.  The dinning room table is lined with brown paper bags with ripening peaches. There is a stack of boxes with peaches ripening.  I find by dinner time, I am out of gas.  This is something new for me.  So I try and get as much done before I run out of steam.





Just Peachy
Above the pears that came from our tree.  Some fell, some were picked by me climbing a 10 ft. ladder while Bob held the ladder.  When there were little holes or nicks in the pears, I put masking tape over them.  Some ripened as if they had their own skin, others just rotted.  Why, I have no clue.  I made pear marmalade, and pear butter.  Also, some green tomato jam for the first time.  Helping me was a new tool that I bought a Williams Sonoma.  It's a silicone spatula that gets into the edge of the pots while cooking.  It kept fruit from burning and sticking while boiling.  It's my new best friend. :-)

The pumpkins and various squash continue to get bigger. Lots of peppers, green beans, and tomatoes, strawberries,  and peaches are yet to be picked.

Thanks for reading.
Every day is a gift...open now.  

xo Suz


5 comments:

  1. Lovely! Am impressed with the fotos and the canning, Suz.. Am a city girl and never have canned a thing. SOunds enticing though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL at the pear bandaids! Sorry to hear about your peach tree. Your house looks about like ours, except instead of fruit we have tomatoes and assorted peppers everywhere; lined up on bed sheets on the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Suz, I always look forward to your posts and this one has me longing for pears (my all-time favorite fruit). Your photos are gorgeous and your kitchen looks like a dream come true! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only reason we don't have them on the floor is that the dog will eat anything for human consumption.
    Thanks for all your comments from my canning and not yet canned friends. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. We pick huckleberries for 3 weeks every August and make jam around Thanksgivings. It's my favorite!

    ReplyDelete