Saturday, February 5, 2011

Making Heirlooms


Bob and I are about to go to our 4th Saturday morning pottery studio together. We signed up to take this as sort of a "date" activity. Neither of us had thrown a pot since high school or college. Bob and I love making things, specially making things together.  We have a list of items for our kids we are going to make.  After making our first pots we realized Bob would use his strength and size to throw the biggies. I am ornamenting and glazing, and making the smaller pieces and slab work.  Below he is throwing a "Buddy bowl." One of two for our dog "Buddy." I made a sugar and creamer and glazed all our other pots.  Covered serving dishes are next on Bob's list.

The place we go to is in a woman's home. She is a professional ceramicist, and teaches out of her studio which is attached to her house.  We are greeted every week by "Ringo" the dog.  He is our teacher's shadow, as Buddy is mine.  We are served tea or lemonade half way through our morning in mugs made by Marlese our teacher. Ringo is given doggie ice cream that he licks right out of the container.  Most of the time he sleeps.  Ringo is clearly part of the studio.

Ringo taking a nap in the shop.


We are making very practical items that we plan to use for holiday meals. We hope that our kids will use them for their holidays, and their kids also.  It's fun to actually MAKE family heirlooms.  I think I would have loved something my Mother or Grandmother made with their own hands.   However, I do have some of the family silver, which is pretty spectacular.  So I'm not complaining. :-)
I sort of picture my daughter and son sitting down to Christmas dinner long after we are gone and serving the meal out of these handmade heirlooms.  Besides being really relaxing. We both leave very happy and satisfied with our progress. Off we go!

Thanks for reading.
Each day is a gift. Open now.
xo,
Suz

2 comments:

  1. What a cool project, Suz! Hope the kids like them. You guys will have fun making them. Glad Buddy gets one or more, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!

    I spent several summers taking pottery classes. Enjoyed it very much but found I really wasn't very good at throwing pots! I would love to do more cookie cutter type cut outs - jewelry pendants, wind chimes, ornaments, etc,

    ReplyDelete