Sunday, July 3, 2011

The 3rd of July

Star shaped sugar cookies going in the oven.

It's almost here...and this year I said I wasn't having the gathering here this year because of my broken foot.  But I caved and am having a few guests.  All bringing many things.  Knowing people are alone on a holiday is one of my buttons.  I can't help it.  So here we go.  Cookies baked, peach and green chili chutney will be made today to top the lamb burgers on the grill.  I am threatening to make a blueberry pie. :-)
"Bobbles" all feather out with a big rose comb!
"MysterE" has no comb.


It seems that 2 of our Silkie chicks are roosters.  Their combs have bloomed: one did not.  "Bobbles" the non neurotypical chick with tics has grown a comb.  The other little rooster is posturing, and confronting all hens to show them he is the boss.  Bobbles doesn't care about dominance, just surviving.  "MysterE" has not grown a comb, and appears to be a hen.  She is the most talkative hen of the bunch. Constantly muttering to herself, and anyone who will listen.  The bantam buff Cochins hop on my lap every time I am out feeding. They are the sweetest of the flock.
Kale and chick peas have been a favorite from our garden.

Happy 4th to you all, whatever your plans may be.
Thanks for reading.
Each day is a gift. Open now.
xo,
Suz

1 comment: