Sunday, July 19, 2015

The Road To Girona


I left Areyns de Mar Saturday for an overnight stay in the Ancient City of Girona. My mission was to see the Jewish Quarter (the Call) , and the Jewish Museum.  Sam was in the front seat riding shotgun. All seemed fine when I was driving north along the Sea. Traffic circles are the thing here in Spain. Once I headed inland it got a bit tricky.  I would come to a traffic circle and it would say Girona and a few other words...but which spoke of the wheel should I take?  I took plenty of wrong ones. It took me twice as long to get here. I stopped for directions forgetting my Sam was in the car.  Not the best idea to have a skeleton in the car when approaching strangers in a strange land! I decided I would only ask young people, as they speak the best English.

Cabala

I arrived at my hotel and couldn't have been happier to feel the cool air conditioning, and be out of the car. It was 96 degrees when I arrived. I only had this day, so I dropped everything and headed to the "Call" and Museum.  An easy walk down streets that look like slivers cut into walls. Vines hanging down from everywhere. I bit like Tuscany.  It was almost 2pm and I realized the Siesta time would come, so I ducked into an air conditioned charming place for lunch.  Then went home for a siesta myself.  The heat really takes it out of you.

Oil and vinegar on the table always as dressings.
At 6:30 I ventured out for some photo time and a bite to eat. Tapas at this time of day is the most economical and delicious way to go. I even had a glass of Cava (Spanish Champagne).  There is something about the  potatoes in Spain that taste like no other potatoes I have ever had. I eat them daily, as they are so delicious!  I bought myself a toy. A wooden skellie, who I have named
"Samette."  Sam can't stop playing with it.
A sliver of a street

When I am home, I am going to carve a smile and a nose into "Samette's" face. I only like happy skellies.

Off I go- back to Arenys de Mar. Cooler with a sea breeze.  I have milked every cent out of my A/C in the hotel.  Wish me luck with those traffic circles on the way home. Adio Girona!


Each day is a gift, open now.

xo
Suz




NO PHOTOS FROM THIS BLOG MAY BE REPRODUCED IN ANY WAY WITHOUT THE WRITTEN PERMISSION OF THE BLOGGER AND POLKADOT MAGPIE.

No comments:

Post a Comment