Sunday, August 21, 2011

Clara Driscoll and the Tiffany Ladies


Today my dear friend Melissa picked me up and wheeled me to the last day of the Tiffany Exhibit at the Albuquerque Museum.  Since I moved to New Mexico there have been few exhibits that have moved me the way this did.  The NYC Historical society produced the show.  I learned that Clara Driscoll was the driving force of design in Louie's shop.  I was inches away from some of the most beautiful stained glass lamps ever made.  Form and function married with bronze organic shaped lamp bases, and exquisite jeweled glass shades.   Antiques and Fine Art reviewed the show in the link below.
http://www.antiquesandfineart.com/articles/article.cfm?request=769
Driscoll designed the famous Dragonfly lamps.
As someone who makes things with her hands, I loved seeing the templates, sketches, and the studios these ladies worked in. Letters Clara wrote to her family told the story of her designs for Mr. T. and her constant need for his approval.  She, like most artists and craftspeople struggled with the daily battle of putting a roof over one's head and artistic compromise.  She churned out designs that will stand the test of time.  For me, good design in everyday things equals a perfect painting in a museum.   Some artists would argue that fine craft is not art.  I believe there is just a much art in making something useful for the home or bodily adornment.

I just ordered the above book:"Clara and Mr. Tiffany."  There was also another book that the gift shop had sold out of. "A New Light on Tiffany." Below is the Amazon link to it.
http://www.amazon.com/New-Light-Tiffany-Clara-Driscoll/dp/1904832350

Thanks Melissa, I was truly inspired.
Each Day is a gift. Open now.
xo,
Suz 



No comments:

Post a Comment